Barney Gentry has over 25 years of civil litigation experience in Central Florida. Barney has practiced commercial litigation with an emphasis on business litigation, construction law, mechanic’s lien law, commercial real estate litigation, contract litigation and covenants not to compete litigation. Barney has also litigated landlord-tenant matters, mobile home park law matters, and probate litigation matters as well. Barney has tried matters before judges and juries and has argued before the Second and Fifth District Court of Appeals. Prior to joining the firm, Barney practiced with a well-respected firm in Orlando where he represented a diverse group of clients in the areas of construction and commercial litigation.
Barney’s father was in the United States Navy and he was born in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba while his father was in the Navy. His father retired in Key West, Florida after approximately twenty years of service and Barney grew up in Key West. He has lived in Florida for his entire life and has lived in the central Florida area since 1995. He is an avid fisherman and is married with three adult children.
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Business Section of the Florida Bar
- Barney represented an accounting firm in enforcing a covenant not to compete. He helped win a jury trial enforcing the agreement which was upheld on appeal.
- Barney helped represent a general contractor in defending against a condominium association for construction defects.
- Barney helped represent a general contractor in defending against alleged construction defects in the construction of the building.
- Barney represented a contractor who sold stock in his business to an employee. The employee left the firm and the contractor sued to enforce a covenant not to compete. Barney helped enforce the covenant not compete and obtain an injunction preventing the employee from competing with the former company which was upheld on appeal.
- Leadership Lakeland, 2000-2001
- Heart of Florida Legal Aid Society 1998-2008; President 2006-2007
- United Way of Central Florida 1998-2008
- Knights of Columbus, Annunciation Catholic Church, Longwood, Florida; Advocate 2020